Monday, February 7, 2011

Shiodome and Ginza



Last weekend we visited Shiodome and Ginza area in Tokyo.
My daughter joined performing arts school this year so I need to come to Shiodome to send and pick her up every weekend.

From our house to Shiodome is about 1 hour by train.
Shiodome is known as the former site of JR railway garage. It is redeveloped and many new buildings were built and particularly known as the place for Nittele or Nippon Television Network Corporation, one of the major TV broadcasting company's site.

The above video is the clock called Nittele Giant Clock. Its size is 12m high and 18m wide. It consists of 32 mechanisms in total and the performance can be observed 4 or 5 times every day. This clock was designed by Hayao Miyazaki who is a famous Japanese animator known for his films such as 'Princess Mononoke' or 'Spirited Away'.
It was the first time for us to observe the performance and what amazed me was its quality of sound. I felt like I was in a concert hall.


The following photo is the landscape from one of the buildings nearby.
All of these lands you see are reclaimed land in Tokyo bay.
The large green area is Hamarikyu Garden.

We happened to find this fantastic place. This is a kind of a fountain which squirt mist at set times.

After my daughter's lesson we walked to Ginza from Shiodome because they are very close.

Ginza is known as fashionable shopping district with many stores including several department stores and it is always crowded with people.


Please look at following picture! Where do you think I found this?
The answer is at a toy store in Ginza.

What do you think this is? Is it a baked fish?

No! It's chocolate!

In Japan we have a strange custom of giving chocolate on St.Valentine's Day. In the past it used to be a custom for girls to confess their love but nowadays girls give chocolate not only to boys but also to friends and co-workers or boss in their office, which means almost everyone!

For this reason, in this period of the year we see variety of chocolate for Valentine's Day for sale.
This fish-shaped package of chocolate is off course a joke product.
I hope the chocolate inside doesn't taste like fish.

My son was interested in eating Shabu-shabu. He had never eaten Shabu-shabu. So we decided to have dinner at a Shabu-shabu restaurant.

Shabu-shabu is one of the popular Japanese dish. It is particularly popular for foreign visitors to Japan. I think regular Japanese don't eat Shabu-shabu often. Because beef is very expensive in Japan and we regard Shabu-shabu is a luxury dish for a special occasion.

We cook thinly sliced beef in a boiling broth just a short time and eat it after dipping in "ponzu", sour soy sauce, or "gomadare", sesame flavored sauce. We cook vegetables in the same pot and eat them dipping in either of these two kinds of sauce.

The restaurant we went was called Shabusen. The price was more reasonable than we expected. The price of the course we ordered was ¥2,000, about $20.00 or €20.00. The course included one serving of noodles or rice porridge and desert in addition to Shabu-shabu.

On the ground floor of Matsuzakaya department store there is a very popular baumkuchen shop called Nenrinya. There is always a line of people to buy this baumkuchen in front of the shop.
I joined the line without hesitation to buy some for our family! They have two kinds of baumkuchen. One is fresh and soft and the other is more dense and crispy outside. I bought both and the taste was great! They have two flavors which is plain and chocolate. Usually I prefer chocolate flavor but I liked plain better this time. My daughter liked the crispy one but I thought soft one was good, too. What is regrettable is its price. If it is cheaper I would buy some every weekend!

The following picture is of dense and crispy ones. I forgot to take a picture of soft one before eating, which happens so often in my case. Sorry!



6 comments:

  1. The clock is surely big and yes.. the sound system is very good.

    The fish chocolate is amazinggg!!! It looks like real fish!!! If I did not read your story, I would assume that it's fish..

    What is baumkuchen made from? I couldn't imagine.. never eaten it for sure :)

    It seems that you have to travel quite far to send your daughter every week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey.. forgot to ask.. is there any meaning to Komichan? :D

    And I have become your first follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baumkuchen is pastry originated in Europe. It was introduced to Japan by a German during the World War period. Since then Baumkuchen is a popular pastry among Japanese. It is made by pouring the dough while heating which makes many layers. Its cut section resembles tree ring, can you imagine? Wow, it's not easy to explain. If you can eat eggs I am sure you and your son will like it!

    Komichan was my nickname before marriage. Ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder Baumkuchen doesn't sound Japanese!! Now.. to think of it, it does sound Germanishh ha..ha..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Komichan, I am visiting from i amsterdam.

    Congratulations on a wonderful blog. The food looked really awesome (I am a fan of Japanese food) but not sure about the fishy chocolate;) Thank you for sharing because it was really fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Aishah, thank you very much for becoming my blog's follower! I am going to write about Japanese food a lot more!

    ReplyDelete